Connect with us
BSM Summit
blank

Sports TV News

NBC To Take Over British Open From ESPN

Jason Barrett

Published

on

NBC Sports Group and ESPN have agreed to transition the U.S. broadcasting rights for the British Open a year early, with NBC and Golf Channel taking over coverage next year.

In June, the R&A announced it had signed a 12-year deal with NBC Sports Group to air the game’s oldest major, as well the Senior British Open and Ricoh Women’s British Open. In a similar competitive process, U.K.-based Sky Sports earned the international broadcast rights, taking over for long-time partner, the British Broadcasting Company (BBC). With Sky set to take over in 2017, like NBC and Golf Channel, the BBC agreed to a buy out of its final year of coverage, making possible the early switchover from ESPN to NBC and Golf Channel.

“We have had a wonderful and rewarding relationship with Peter Dawson and the R&A and it has been our distinct honor to be their partner,” said John Wildhack, ESPN executive vice president for programming and production. “The Open is a unique treasure but given the impending change in rights ownership we were open to having them move forward with NBC. We wish them all the best in the future.”

The 2016 Open at Royal Troon will mark NBC’s return as a major broadcaster, replacing the U.S. Open, whose broadcasting rights the Peacock lost to Fox Sports as part of a 12-year deal with the USGA announced in 2014. Golf Channel will also air live coverage of the British Open, marking the first time the network has aired a men’s major championship.

The announcement brings an official end to the 53-year relationship between the R&A and ESPN and its parent company ABC, which had aired the British Open in some fashion since 1962. ESPN took over all four rounds of the Open in 2010, airing the championship in high definition for the first time and eventually offering an original broadcast which rarely relied on BBC cameras.

The NBC golf team, including Johnny Miller and newly signed David Feherty, will be on the call at Royal Troon in July.

Credit to Yahoo Sports who originally published this article

Sports TV News

Peter King: Sean McVay Wants to be a Star, ‘Not Just Some Guy on TV’

“I do think he had some regret over not taking a two- or three-year hiatus last year and taking one of the big TV jobs. Amazon? Maybe FOX? But if he really wanted to jump after winning the Super Bowl, he would have.”

Jordan Bondurant

Published

on

blank

L.A. Rams head coach Sean McVay will remain at his post for the 2023-24 season. The team tweeted that news Friday afternoon, seeming to, at least for now, put the rumors of McVay leaving coaching for a TV job to rest.

ProFootballTalk’s Peter King wrote in Football Morning in America on Monday that McVay understands the kind of position on television he’s looking for may not necessarily be there for him.

“I don’t think that was the only thing about TV that appealed to him, but I don’t think McVay was interested in being Just a Guy on TV,” King wrote. “I do think he had some regret over not taking a two- or three-year hiatus last year and taking one of the big TV jobs. Amazon? Maybe FOX? But if he really wanted to jump after winning the Super Bowl, he would have.”

King noted that McVay has been told to “Do what makes you happy” by folks with the Rams. He also said he believes coaching is what Makes McVay happy. Especially with a chance to shake up his coaching staff and being involved in trying to bring the team back from a 5-12 season in their follow-up campaign to winning the Super Bowl.

“He wants to be challenged, and this staff wasn’t doing it,” King said. “Offensive coordinator Liam Coen may not have been what McVay wanted in an OC—a coach who would challenge him and bring new ideas to him—and that could be why he’s going back to the University of Kentucky as a coordinator.”

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

Lisa Salters Makes Monday Night Football History Completing 11th Season on Sideline

“Salters has been with ESPN for almost 23 years. She started as a general assignment reporter before moving to sideline reporting in 2006.”

Jordan Bondurant

Published

on

blank

Monday night’s Cowboys/Bucs wild card playoff game set a new milestone for ESPN sideline reporter Lisa Salters.

The network tweeted that Salters completed her 11th season in that role. That makes her the longest tenured reporter in Monday Night Football history.

Salters has been with ESPN for almost 23 years. She started as a general assignment reporter before moving to sideline reporting in 2006.

“When I first got the call to do Monday Night Football, I would have never thought that 10 years later I would still be doing it,” Salters said last year in a video reminiscing on ten years on Monday Night Football. “I was at home and I got a phone call from my boss Vince Doria and he said, ‘Hey, I was wondering if you would be interested in being a sideline reporter for Monday Night Football‘, and I couldn’t believe what he just asked me.”

Salters is also featured on network coverage of the NBA, something she’s been doing since 2005.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

No Conspiracy Behind ESPN Monday Night Playoff Game Selection

“The decision to continue with 4/5 games in the Monday night window came down to convenience.”

Jordan Bondurant

Published

on

blank

ESPN has only carried NFL playoff games on Monday night for two seasons but has been a part of wild card weekends dating back to the 2014-15 campaign.

With the exception of one season, a 4-seed versus 5-seed matchup has always been covered by the Monday Night Football broadcast team in that stretch of nine seasons. That continued with Cowboys/Bucs this year.

In 2021-22, with the NFL expanding the playoff field to seven teams, the first Monday night playoff game was played. The Rams cruised past the Cardinals 34-11.

Last week, the decision was the source of much speculation. TV executives shared a number of theories about why ESPN landed the game that had the most star power in the Super Wild Card round of the playoffs.

Andrew Marchand of the New York Post wrote that no speculation was necessary. The decision to continue with 4/5 games in the Monday night window came down to convenience. The new format, the games that have a likelihood of altering seeding for the divisional rounds have already been played.

The 4/5 games this weekend proved to be pretty entertaining. The Jaguars rallied from down 27 to beat the Chargers. Al Michaels and Tony Dungy were ripped on social media for how they called a particularly exhilarating game for NBC. So it turns out Joe Buck and Troy Aikman would’ve called either one of the weekend’s best games.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

blank

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2023 Barrett Media.