Connect with us
BSM Summit
blank

Sports TV News

Burke Magnus: ESPN+ Has Placed A Bid For Premier League Rights

“He and his staff likely face some stiff competition as all four major networks and Amazon at one point expressed intention to bid on the Premier League.”

blank

Published

on

blank

Bids for the American television rights to England’s Premier League were due on Monday. ESPN is amongst the bidders and Burke Magnus says there is no reason anyone should be surprised. Soccer is something that has been important to the growth of ESPN+.

“Soccer has been, really, a tentpole for ESPN+ from the very first day,” he told John Ourand in a conversation at Sports Business Journal’s Media Innovators Conference. “That and UFC have really been the two categories we sunk our teeth into from the very beginning.”

ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro said last month that the network would indeed be bidding for the US rights. He and his staff likely face some stiff competition as all four major networks and Amazon at one point expressed intention to bid on the Premier League.

The process is not like bidding for American sports rights. “No wining and dining over in London,” as Ourand put it. Magnus countered that it has been a long time since he has even been to England. The best that ESPN and other bidders can do is hope they present the best combination of compensation and coverage that then is selected.

ESPN+ is a major player in international soccer rights. Magnus pointed out that it is a product that has helped the platform grow tremendously during its short life.

“That’s been our experience, obviously. We invested in Serie A, which is now at Paramount Plus. But we now have an exclusive deal with Bundesliga, an exclusive deal with La Liga, which just rolled out in August, a tremendous FA Cup English football championship. Thousands upon thousands of games. We think that the Premier League can be an incredible component at the high end of the quality scale obviously, if we can add it to that offering.”

Sports TV News

Roger Goodell: ‘Wouldn’t Surprise Me’ To See Thursday Night Football Move to Flex Scheduling

“Not today, but it’ll certainly be something that’s on our horizon.”

blank

Published

on

Thursday Night Football

In 2023, Monday Night Football will join Sunday Night Football in having the ability to flex NFL games into its window. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday Night Football could someday join that elite club.

During his “State of the League” speech Wednesday, Goodell said Thursday Night Football having the ability to flex matchups “wouldn’t at all surprise me”.

“Not today, but it’ll certainly be something that’s on our horizon,” the NFL Commissioner said.

ESPN bargained for the ability to move higher profile games into Monday Night Football during its negotiations with the league for the next television contract that begins this upcoming season.

NBC has long held the ability to shift a select number of games from earlier windows into the Sunday Night Football primetime slot.

Amazon Prime Video just completed the first of an 11-year contract that sees the streaming platform spend nearly $1 billion per year on the Thursday Night Football package.

One of the largest storylines of Amazon’s debut season with the NFL was the near-constant ridicule from play-by-play announcer Al Michaels over the lackluster TNF schedule. Michaels made headlines over several weeks for his candor on the lack of interesting matchups, going as far as to joke that if the schedule didn’t improve he would retire.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

Michael Irvin Removed From NFL Network Super Bowl Coverage

“I came into the lobby and I talked to somebody. I talked to this girl. I don’t know her, and I talked to her for about 45 seconds.”

blank

Published

on

blank

A complaint from a female to NFL Network has caused the network to remove Michael Irvin from its Super Bowl coverage.

NFL Network did not comment on the nature of the complaint or the allegation of any impropriety by Irvin, simply stating Irvin would not be a participant in coverage of the event from Arizona.

“Michael Irvin will not be a part of NFL Network’s Super Bowl LVII week coverage,” said NFL Media Vice President of Communications Alex Riethmiller in a statement.

Irvin claimed the interaction happened during a brief moment Sunday after having dinner and drinks with former Cowboy defensive back Michael Brooks.

“This all happened in a 45-second conversation in the lobby,” Irvin told The Dallas Morning News. “When I got back after going out … I came into the lobby and I talked to somebody. I talked to this girl. I don’t know her, and I talked to her for about 45 seconds. We shook hands. Then, I left…That’s all I know.”

Irvin, 56, admitted he didn’t recall the conversation between him and the female but called the interaction “just a friendly conversation”. He defended himself by saying “There was definitely nothing physical”.

The report from The Dallas Morning News added that Glendale police officials do not know about any incident regarding Irvin.

A report from Front Office Sports claims ESPN executives are “poised to pull the plug” on Irvin’s scheduled appearance on First Take from Radio Row Friday.

The Pro Football Hall of Famer has been with NFL Network since 2009, and in August of last year signed an extension to remain with the cable channel.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

Pro Bowl Lowest Rated Since 2006

While the numbers decreased, the Pro Bowl was still the second-highest rated All-Star Game for the major professional sports leagues.

blank

Published

on

blank

The NFL completely revamped its Pro Bowl format for the 2022 season, and the changes did not garner more viewers.

An average of 6.28 million viewers tuned into the event across ABC, ESPN, and DisneyXD Sunday for the first 7-on-7 event. That number is a decrease of 6% compared to last year and is the lowest-rated Pro Bowl since the 2006 event saw just 5.96 million viewers. That figure excludes the 2021 Pro Bowl, which was a “virtual” event due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

While the numbers decreased, the Pro Bowl was still the second-highest-rated All-Star Game for the major professional sports leagues, with the MLB All-Star Game seeing an average viewership of 7.51 million. The 6.28 million who watched the Pro Bowl is a virtual tie with last season’s NBA All-Star Game.

The Pro Bowl Skills Challenge — now produced by Peyton Manning’s Omaha Productions — did see a large increase in viewership compared to last year. More than 1 million viewers tuned into the Thursday night primetime event, which is the second-best figure on record. That audience is a 23% increase compared to last year’s event.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

blank

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2023 Barrett Media.