Connect with us
blank

Sports TV News

Sinclair Planning ‘Soft Launch’ of Streaming Service in Five MLB Markets

Daily fantasy sports, gambling in states where it’s legal, and other interactive games with cash prizes available will also be incorporated into the product.

Jordan Bondurant

Published

on

blank

During a quarterly earnings call with investors, Sinclair Broadcast Group-owned Bally Sports regional networks announced plans for a “soft launch” for its direct-to-consumer (DTC) live streaming service.

According to Broadcasting + Cable, the service will be offered in the five markets where Sinclair has agreements with Major League Baseball clubs and would launch whenever the 2022 MLB season starts.

“It is the start of a new paradigm for how fans can watch and engage with their local teams,” Sinclair CEO Chris Ripley said Wednesday on the earnings call. “The potential market for a DTC product is significant as approximately 83 million households reside in the territories for which we currently have DTC rights.”

The access to watch live games will only be part of the broader DTC product being touted by Sinclair under the Bally Sports banner.

blank

Daily fantasy sports, gambling in states where it’s legal, and other interactive games with cash prizes available will also be incorporated into the product.

The plan is to introduce the product for baseball season in the first part of this year, then roll it out to more consumers when the new NBA and NHL seasons begin in the fall.

No telling whether or not the live streaming aspect of it will be improved or the same. BSM has previously covered the disdain that fans in Cleveland and New Orleans have toward the Bally Sports app. The Pelicans are reportedly planning to move on from Bally Sports at the end of this season, mainly because so few in NOLA have proper access to the channel.

Sports TV News

Terry Bradshaw Is Cancer Free

Bradshaw’s candor comes after struggling through a sentence during the September 25th edition of the show, in which Howie Long helped finish his sentence.

blank

Published

on

blank

During FOX NFL Sunday, Terry Bradshaw revealed he was diagnosed with two different forms of cancer in the last year.

However, after surgeries and treatments, Bradshaw said he is now cancer free.

The Pro Football Hall of Famer said he was diagnosed with bladder cancer in November of last year and surgery and treatments removed the cancer. Then, in March of this year, a tumor was found on the left-side of his neck. Bradshaw called it a “Merkel cell tumor”, which he had removed.

Bradshaw’s candor comes after struggling through a sentence during the September 25th edition of the show, in which Howie Long helped finish his sentence.

The 74-year-old has worked on FOX NFL Sunday since its inception in 1994. He will be inducted into the Sports Broadcasting Hall of Fame later this year.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

Scott Van Pelt’s ‘Bad Beats’ Becoming 30-Minute Monthly Show

Van Pelt, alongside “Stanford Steve” Coughlin, recaps the toughest losses suffered by sports gamblers with unconventional final moments and unexpected outcomes as it pertains to the over/under or point spread.

blank

Published

on

blank

The popular “Bad Beats” segment from SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt is being turned into a monthly half-hour show on ESPN.

Van Pelt, alongside “Stanford Steve” Coughlin, recaps the toughest losses suffered by sports gamblers with unconventional final moments and unexpected outcomes as it pertains to the over/under or point spread, otherwise known as a “bad beat”. Generally, the segment lasts around 5-10 minutes. ESPN will repurpose the content from the show to package it into a half-hour edition.

The new monthly show debuted yesterday at 5:30 PM ET on ESPN.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

Sports Media Reacts To Rodney Harrison Concussion Plea On Football Night In America

“This isn’t the first time Harrison has spoken about his own experience with CTE”

blank

Published

on

blank

Everyone that covers the NFL has spent the better part of a week talking about Tua Tagovailoa. The Miami Dolphins quarterback’s health has been the subject of speculation after suffering two traumatic hits in the span of five days leading many to wonder if he was sent back onto the field after suffering a concussion.

Questions about the way the Dolphins and the NFL treated the quarterback are being asked all over TV and radio. There have already been consequences on the field too as the independent doctor that examined Tagovailoa has been fired for making “several mistakes” in his evaluation.

Sunday night, Rodney Harrison sounded off about what he saw and his own experience with head injuries. The former Patriots defensive back explained the lingering effects he has dealt with.

“I would implore these young men, don’t go back on the field if you get hurt,” he told Maria Taylor and Tony Dungy on Football Night in America. “Because I don’t want them to have to feel like me and so many other players that had to deal with concussions, whether it’s depression, anxiety, paranoia, broken relationships, not being able to communicate with your spouse. It’s a lot. CTE takes you to a dark place and I want these players to know it’s not worth it. Please take care of yourself.”

One of the most eyebrow raising moments of Harrison’s statement came from his blunt advice to players about the people evaluating them after big hits.

“Don’t depend on the NFL. Don’t depend on anybody. If something’s wrong with your head, report it!”

The clip was shared all over social media and drew praise and commentary from Rodney Harrison’s colleagues.

This isn’t the first time Harrison has spoken about his own experience with CTE. He was on The Dan Patrick Show on Friday to talk about the way Tagovailoa’s injury was handled. He said that he would regularly lie to doctors when he was being checked out after a big hit.

Continue Reading
Advertisement blank
Advertisement blank

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2022 Barrett Media.