Connect with us
BSM Summit
blank

Sports TV News

Phillies Broadcaster Tom McCarthy Takes Foul Ball to Chest in Spring Training

“I might’ve sort of either saved you or tipped it into your body,” said broadcast partner Ruben Amaro Jr.

Jordan Bondurant

Published

on

blank

Major League Baseball is back, and spring training games have begun in preparation for the new campaign. And like the players, baseball broadcasters are getting their reps in ahead of a new season.

On NBC Sports Philadelphia’s Saturday telecast of the Grapefruit League match-up between the Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies, Phillies outfielder Adam Haseley fouled the first pitch of the bottom of the fourth inning off pitcher Jordan Romano. The ball caromed back into the broadcast booth where Tom McCarthy and Ruben Amaro Jr. were situated.

“Watch yourself,” Amaro said as the ball sounded like it may have caught the field microphone in the netting before finding its way through the booth’s open window. Amaro tried to make the catch, but Amaro tipped the ball into McCarthy’s chest.

“I might’ve sort of either saved you or tipped it into your body,” Amaro said. McCarthy appeared to be surprised by the ball hitting him.

The Phillies Twitter account couldn’t help but notice what had happened as well, and was quick to post a clip online.

“Just gotta tighten up the chest a little bit,” McCarthy joked.

It didn’t seem like the ball came in all that hard, as McCarthy carried on with the broadcast. Fans on Twitter did check in to ask if he was OK.

But McCarthy continued to take the moment in stride.

Also perhaps a lesson to fans out there: Even if you’re in the booth with the window open, always keep your eye on the ball.

Sports TV News

Miami Marlins Continue Broadcast Changes, Drop J.P. Arencibia

The former big league catcher worked the club’s opening road series and more than 60 games for Bally Sports Florida.

blank

Published

on

blank

After announcing last week that Miami Marlins play-by-play announcer Glenn Geffner wouldn’t return to the booth next year, the club continues to make changes. J.P. Arencibia won’t return as an analyst for the club in 2023.

According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, Arencibia was informed he will no longer work on either the team’s television or radio broadcasts next season. The former big league catcher worked the club’s opening road series and more than 60 games for Bally Sports Florida. It was his first season as a television analyst. According to Jackson, the reason for Arencibia’s departure is “unclear”, adding a reason “was not offered”.

The club will continue to use a rotation of analysts in 2023, with Jeff Nelson, Gaby Sanchez, Rod Allen, and Tommy Hutton working in the booth.

Arencibia was brought on for the 2022 season after the Marlins dropped former Rookie of the Year Todd Hollandsworth from the clubs televisions broadcasts after the previous season concluded.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

Rebecca Lobo Signs Extension With ESPN

She has served as the analyst for the network’s coverage of the NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament and the National Championship Game.

blank

Published

on

blank

ESPN and Rebecca Lobo have signed an extension to keep the women’s basketball legend with the network.

Lobo joined ESPN in 2004 as a WNBA and women’s college basketball analyst. She has served as the analyst for the network’s coverage of the NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament and the National Championship Game.

“I am thrilled to continue doing what I love, calling women’s basketball games,” said Lobo. “It is an honor to be a part of the soundtrack for the games played by these incredible female athletes.”

Lobo had a storied career at UConn before winning an Olympic Gold Medal. She was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2017.

“Rebecca is one of the best in the business. She excels on both game coverage and studio coverage,” said Patricia Lowry, ESPN Vice President, Production. “Her knowledge, history, and passion for the game and its growth continue to make us better.  She is a true asset and a highly valued member of our team.”

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

ESPN Reaches Extension To Remain Home of Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest

“It’s a sports calendar and Fourth of July staple, one of those classic, timeless events we know fans look forward to every year.”

blank

Published

on

blank

ESPN and the International Federation of Competitive Eating have agreed to a deal that will see the network remain the home of the Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest on the 4th of July.

The Major League Eating contest has aired on the network since 2004. The new contract will see the event take place on ESPN through the 2029 event.

“You can’t beat the spectacle that is the Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest,” said ESPN Director of Programming & Acquisitions John Suchenski. “It’s a sports calendar and Fourth of July staple, one of those classic, timeless events we know fans look forward to every year. It has had memorable moments over the years, and we’re ecstatic that many more will be on our platforms for the foreseeable future.”

The event has risen to prominence during its tenure with the Disney-owned network, seeing the rivalry between Takeru Kobayashi and Joey Chestnut grow into one of national prominence. The rivalry even sparked an ESPN documentary on the subject. Chestnut has grown into an American celebrity for his performance during the contest, winning his 15th mustard-yellow belt in 2022.

“We’re thrilled to extend our agreement with ESPN and ensure that viewers will continue to join in this great July Fourth tradition. ESPN is a fantastic broadcast partner and they capture the spirit of the event perfectly.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement blank
Advertisement blank

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2022 Barrett Media.